Sunday, July 10, 2011

Iowa Writers and New Ideas

Greetings from Iowa City, the heart of great writing and near fields of corn.

I'm here with my brother for a week-long writing session at U of Iowa. Program starts tonight with an orientation and first session. Right now I'm sitting at the Iowa recreational center waiting for my brother to finish his workout. I came to swim, not knowing the pool is closed on Sundays.

But the center has a slew of ping pong tables. Years ago, ok many decades ago, the two of us passed long summer vacations hitting a ping pong ball back and forth. After Phil has finished wearing himself out on machines and weights I plan to seek the revenge of a "little sis" and challenge him to a ping pong game. What is it they say in the bad action movies: "Payback is a bitch?" Ain't that the truth.

Ironically I may find I write less on this blog while I am in this writing class this week, what with classes and home work and a new place to explore. But perhaps the skills I learn at the conference and new ideas generated by the experience will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment