Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Good Forgetfullness

We left Louisville with the temperature 15 degrees and a wind chill below zero. After fourteen hours in airports and planes we arrived in Maui. Where the temperature is 80 at the high, 60's the low. The travel experience itself would have made a great story line for a Judd Apatow-type "Worst Travel Experience Anywhere and You Still Survived and Arrived".  More about that when I've recovered enough to write about it with humor rather than planning whom I should complain to, write letters, threaten, or sue.

For now I want to focus on the healing power of the sun. And my forgetfulness. And maybe mention a few extraneous topics, such as the best fish tacos in the world. But not necessarily in that order.

The morning after we arrived, after showering I looked for the hair dryer in the condo, got it out and was "fixin'" to dry my hair. Then I realized my hair would not freeze if I went outside without first drying my hair. So I went out on our lanai with wet hair. Sat in a chair to read a bit. And suddenly remembered what a wonderful, soft, warm feeling drying your hair in the sun is.

How do I forget these things in a few month's or a year's time? I have the same type of forgetfulness when it comes to fall colors and spring's first blooms. With nearly every seasonal change I insist to my husband we've never had colors like this, or the spring green of new growth exactly this shade before. My husband then reminds me I said exactly the same thing last year at that time. Lately, he's started to show me photos to prove his point.

This type of memory loss has an advantage. I enjoy the colors, smells, sensations and joy as if they were for the first time. So on to the best fish tacos. After our arrival we ate at Coconuts. The place is owned by a mainland transplant who I believe may be trying to franchise the business. The restaurant is spare and Maui-quirky. Tables and benches are old surfboards. And the place has expanded to twice the size it was when we first tried it based on a local's suggestion.

But the food is as fabulous as ever. Everything is fresh and local. The fish taco order, for just a little more than $10, includes two heaping tacos of fresh grilled fish that tastes as if it was in the ocean just a short time ago. The topping is an island slaw-mango with cabbage, onion, peppers and tropical fruit. And some magical dressing. And did I mention the tacos, served on corn tortillas are gluten free. Gluten is a deal breaker for me since I have celiac disease. I don't usually like a lot of spice. But these tacos have  a little heat that mixes perfectly with the sweet fruit.

An order of fish tacos easily is enough for two people to share. But we each ate a whole order and it's funny but I've never seen anyone share an order. Finally, I have to say, I can't remember ever eating a better fish taco.





3 comments:

  1. You're in Hawaii again? You should write a novel!

    And...I'm jealous. It's freeeeeezing here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always plan to write when we are here. Then we get here and I get lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chuckled about your forgetfulness about colors of fall and spring; I think appreciation for the beauty of fall and spring increases with age...I don't remember noticing leaves and flowers as a child and younger adult.

    ReplyDelete