Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

Not raindrops on roses or whiskers on felines. I am talking about favorite fun items you purchase and are happy to have parted with some of your hard-earned money in the bargain.  Little things.  Such as cosmetics and clothes.  And no, I am not being paid to advertise anything.  This is just my personal, “The Best” column, as seen in the Louisville Courier Journal Saturday newspapers.  Only I am not limiting it to one thing.

My favorite new cosmetic is Almay, “smart shade, anti-aging makeup”.  It has an SPF of 20, comes in several tints, such as “light/pale” (I’m afraid that is me all over, since they do not have a tint of "not quite flesh tone"), “light/medium”, “medium” and so forth.  It goes on as a white cream but then blends to your skin tone so it seems you have no makeup on, your skin just looks smoother.  Almay cosmetics are sold at drug stores and discount department stores such as Target, another of my favorites.  And Almay is much less expensive than the Clinique foundations to which I once was addicted. 

The other cosmetic product I think is sensational is First Aid Beauty “Face Cream.”  The Cream has an SPF of 30.  I don’t think you can add that to the Almay SPF of 20 for a grand total of 50 if you use both at the same time.  You only count the higher SPF and that is if you really put a lot on.  So it probably doesn’t hurt to use two products with SPF. 

The First Aid Cream claims to do the following five actions: “Prevent/ reduce wrinkles; Correct uneven skin tone; Filter UVA/UVB rays; Nourish and moisturize; and Combat free radicals.”  The "5 in 1 Face Cream” may or may not do any or all of those things. But my skin looks better when I use it everyday.  As I age I find it is better to spend more money to protect my skin from sun damage and less to cover it up.

I buy this “5 in 1 Cream” at Sephora, the store I cut through on the way to my Apple computer lessons in the mall.  And the truth is I have cut through Sephora so many times it came down to either I buy something at the store or I declare an access easement by adverse possession.  Since I did not want to litigate with Sephora I chose to poke around the store and find something to buy.  

The Sephora store employees actually are very nice, though perhaps a little too perfumed for my senses.  And they have never suggested I needed to stop cutting through on my way to my computer lessons.  I was just starting to feel a little guilty.
 
My final favorite for today is a cute, little, all-cotton blouse (brand name is “Two Star Dog”) I recently bought in one of the cute, little stores in Midway KY.  The name of the store escapes me, but there are so few stores in the main drag of Midway you can find it by browsing all of them.  If you do that, recognize you likely will leave a large chunk of cash at the cute little stores if you are not careful. 

Anyway, as to why this blouse is one of my favorites.  As always, I checked to be sure the blouse was machine washable.  Don’t you just hate the clothing labels that say something like, “hand wash, line dry, and press as needed”?  Well, of course it needs pressing if you actually hand washed and line dried it.  If you machine wash and tumble dry it and don’t mind claiming you dressed from clothes packed away in an old suitcase for the last year, you may not need to press it.  

Well this blouse said it was machine washable and dryable.  But after wearing it, I discovered, not only is it cool and cute, with smocking at the neckline and in the back at the waist, but the best thing, the label not only said “machine washable and dryable”, but also “DO NOT IRON.”  Since I always read and follow the directions, more or less, this is one set of instructions I am happy to follow.  In fact, I may need to buy another one or two blouses that command me not to iron them.

Dorothy’s Idea of the Day: Sometimes it is good to be frivolous, as I was today with my writing.  Tomorrow I promise to share some thoughts on something a little heavier, though not too heavy if you get them in paperback or electronically: a few of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment