Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Guilt in the Time of Coronavirus


Right now, people around the world are suffering from the coronavirus. Some are desperately sick. Others, the first responders and medical personnel, are trying to care for the sick, make do with shortages, and make the best decisions they can, thinking selflessly of others first.   

Sadly, a large number of people are mourning deaths of loved ones from this pandemic. Some people are scared and depressed as they follow the news of the deaths and illnesses. Many isolated people are lonely. Some people have pre-existing conditions that are going untreated, illnesses besides the coronavirus. Both my husband and I have postponed, or had postponed for us, preventive checkups for previous cancers, dental and eye doctor appointments. Not to add to the fear, but there is no doubt that many likely have heart disease, cancer, and any number of other conditions that are not being detected but lie in wait for them. 

Some people have stepped up to make masks at home or other protective gear in creative ways. Young people have offered to shop or run errands for others who are at greater risk. Teachers are posting lessons, reading books and offering other learning opportunities on Facebook. People can and have pulled together to help during this crisis in amazing ways.  

There are the lucky ones, who, so far, have avoided serious illness. Since tests are not available, they have no way of knowing whether they might be contagious. They are stuck at home, trying to do their level best to not go crazy during these stressful times. And, those of us raised on Catholic or other religious or cultural guilt, feel that deep in their bones we should be doing more.  

My sewing thread collection is over forty years old, as are my sewing skills. If push came to shove, I probably could fashion a mask on my 47-year-old sewing machine. It wouldn’t be pretty and it wouldn’t likely hold together for long. I also wouldn’t wish that on anyone if they had another choice. Now that I’ve seen reports of groups with actual sewing skills making thousands of masks and I also saw masks being sold on Amazon today at reasonable prices, I’ve decided I need to continue to put my guilt to work in some other way more suited to my talents, such as they are. Posting blogs that I hope are a bit humorous and diverting for others facing these difficult times is what I have chosen to continue doing. My hope is that each of us will continue to do all that we can to help take care of ourselves and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment