Monday, January 11, 2016

Geezer TV


Do you find yourself dozing off when you are watching your favorite evening programs? It sure seems that way to us. Must be our age; it can’t be how hard we’ve worked. We're both retired.

Lately it seems either I, my spouse, or both of us cannot make it through a couple of TV episodes or a movie after dinner without drifting off. But if one of us manages to stay awake the one who has fought off drowsing can catch the other up on important plot points.

So last night my husband drifted during the movie “The Hundred-Foot Journey”. A good movie. About a family from India fleeing persecution to make a new start after the mother is killed in a fire started by some rival political group. 

The family makes a living in the restaurant business. The second oldest son not only has learned cooking skills from his mother but he has a love of good food and the heart of an amazing chef. So it’s no surprise the family seeks a place to start another restaurant.

The family eventually settles in a small town in France and decides to open an Indian restaurant a mere 100 feet across the street from a Michelin-starred French restaurant. No one gives the Indian restaurant a hope of success. 

Meanwhile, the young chef finds a spark of romance with a young woman who is a sous chef at the French restaurant. Troubles ensue, fire again strikes the restaurant…and at about this point my husband fell asleep. I could tell because his snores sort of woke me up.

Luckily, we have the movie recorded so he could watch what he missed if he wanted to. But I was able to fill him in on the exciting parts he missed, as I described it to him--a dream sequence:
Indian elephants brought in to increase their business flow, a kangaroo stampede, and finally a Bollywood dance number.

Well, you get the picture… I was sort of snoozing too so I dreamed up a few things. He didn’t fall for it either. And I didn’t want to spoil the wonderful movie--so he’s watching the rest of it now.

Trust me, our falling asleep is no reflection on the quality of the movie. It’s worth watching from the beginning to end. And watch for the dream sequence and Bollywood dance number. If it didn’t really have those parts it should have.


No comments:

Post a Comment